Sunday, July 15, 2012

Homemade Sausage!

Stopped by to visit my sister the other day and her husband was in the kitchen making homemade sausage with left-over pork. Although this is not a one pot dinner, I thought it was such an interesting process that would be noteworthy enough to share. I'm fairly certain that the average person most likely purchases their sausage from the grocery store and doesn't quite think about how it's made (at least I don't).

My brother had a pig roast last weekend and there was lots of left-over pork, so he offered it to my brother-in-law. My brother-in-law just recently purchased a fancy grinder, A Big Bite Grinder , with the thought of making all kinds of homemade sausages.

So how do you go about making sausages? Apparently you grind the meat (in this case, pork) using the grinder after cutting it into manageable sized chunks. Once all the meat is ground up you add your spices (view the various recipe links below), then stuff the paste into the casings using a stuffer. You can use all natural or collagen. When the sausage is stuffed into the casing you can create the length of sausage wanted by twisting and creating the links. The trick is to twist one way on one end and the other way on the other end.

Really, I hadn't thought about it before, but it sure looks like sausages are fun to make & it's great knowing what exactly is going into it. I believe that was the original reason my brother-in-law began making his own!

Check out the proud chef below and let me know in the comment section if you have tried making your own sausage!





Special Thanks to my brother-in-law for allowing me to film!

RESOURCES:


Sausage Mania - This site contains all things sausages including a photo tutorial.
Let's Make Sausages - A website with all kinds of i
nformation pertaining to sausages.

How to Make Sausage!
This is one section of the above website which outlines how to make sausages.

Homemade Sausage Recipes: All kinds of recipes from Meat Processing Products.com includingBratwurst, Chorizo and English Bangers.

2 comments:

  1. Very interesting and I love the idea that you know exactly what is going into them! Reading this on the IPad so I think I might have missed something. I didn't see the chef! Will have to read on the computer too. Nice post. Really like this blog and looking forward to more dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really was interesting and I just had to include it in a post. Wanted to try my hand at something a little different from Education and somehow landed on this. Hoping it is interesting to someone. I'll actually be sharing some recipes that you gave to me! Thanks for taking the time to comment.

    ReplyDelete