Thursday, July 26, 2012

Yellow Squash Casserole

My sister in law came for a visit last night, so I wanted to cook something special for her with vegetables from our garden. The summer squash is looking fabulous this summer and like the zucchini we have more than we can cook! I had some left over mushrooms from the night before and wanted to use them too. In the pantry was a can of water chestnuts just waiting to be added to a dish.

So, I started looking for a recipe with summer squash and water chestnuts and
found this Yellow Squash Casserole at Cooks.com. It only has 6 ingredients and I happened to have all of them on hand. Mushrooms were not part of the recipe, but I added them anyway.

Ingredients:
1 1/2 lb of yellow squash
1 can of water chestnuts
1 can of cream of chicken soup
1 (8 oz) sour cream
1 medium onion chopped
1 carrot grated


Directions:
1. Mix all ingredients & put in lightly greased casserole dish
2. Make topping by browning 20 crushed crackers in a frying pan with one stick of butter.
3. Sprinkle over the top and bake 1 hour at 350
4. Let it sit before serving


I chopped the mushrooms and lightly sauteed them with the onions. I did not use the full amount of butter called for, and substituted sour cream with "light" sour cream. (I was tempted to try plain yogurt in place of sour cream but will wait till I'm not entertaining.)

Variations could include adding some zucchini and green/red pepper as it would give it a nice flavor while making it colorful. The crackers could be exchanged with stuffing mix. Lots of options.

Not sure of the exact calorie count, but here are the stats for a similar dish. In any event it sure is delicious as a side dish with a grilled pork tenderloin and garden salad. Just the right addition for a meal!


A NEW feature will be added to One Dish Dining called: "Potluck Photos." If you try one of these recipes and send me your photos - I will add them to the above page with your name and any variations you made to the recipe! Hope we'll get many takers!

Next recipe: Continuing with the summer vegetable series: Zucchini Soup suggested by Judy C!

Delights in Dining!

2 comments:

  1. Looks really good. Vinny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like one to try, and I will. Thanks for being the test pilot!

    ReplyDelete