Sunday, July 22, 2012

Summer Vegetable Casserole

Our garden is chock full of zucchini and summer squash already! Several years ago I pleaded with my husband to stop planting them as they were taking over the garden, and well, quite honestly (and no surprise really) I didn't know how to cook them other than using the steaming method.

During this hiatus I came across several wonderful recipes using those particular vegetables. The first recipe literally fell into my lap when it dropped from the mailbox. It was sent by my sister, the Real Estate broker. (Other recipes will be shared in later posts.)

So, I pleaded with my husband, the gardener to plant zucchini and summer squash once again! You can see he did as the garden is now overrun with these nuclear looking plants!

So here is why I now love zucchini and summer squash:
Summer Vegetable Casserole:

Ingredients:
2 yellow squash (small)
2 zucchini (small)
6 medium potatoes (peeled)
1 large onion
1 lemon (zest)
4 T olive oil
4-6 Tomatoes (sliced or 1 15 oz can diced toms)
2 oz Feta Cheese
1 1/2 tsp season salt

Directions:
Preheat over to 375 degrees. Cut potatoes into 1/8 inch thick slices and all other vegetables into 1/4 inch slices. In a bowl mix all vegetables except tomatoes with lemon zest, 3 T oil, seasoning salt, and pepper. Place in 9" x 13" casserole. Top with tomato slices and crumbled feta and drizzle with 1 T olive oil. Cover tightly with foil and bake for 1 hour. Remove foil and cook another 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are slightly browned.

This can be served as a side dish or a main course. For the meat lovers you can add sausage for a heartier meal (just slice them and cook the same). If you are not a feta lover then substitute parmigian, mozzarella or another favorite cheese.

RECIPE FACTS:
Serves: 8 Calories/serving: 188
Protien 5g
Carb 25g
Fat 9g
Fiber 4g

Prep time: 20 minutes Total Cook Time: 1 hour 15 min

Honestly, I don't think you will be disappointed with this dish. Please leave a note in the comment section if you have a chance to try it!

Delights in your Dining!

6 comments:

  1. "Thank You Nancy I'm going to make this for dinner sounds yummy! Was trying to decide all morning for something different!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nancy
    The recipe sounds great..I will try it this week.
    I remember my Nonni making the most delicious Braccioles from zucchini and yellow squash flowers. I will have to ask my mom if she has a recipe for them. Google zucchini and yellow squash flowers and you may find some recipes. The flowers are really yummy!
    Love the blog!!
    Lucille

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nancy! I love this dish! So easy and with the sausage and a big hunk of ciabatta bread you can't go wrong. I'm thinking I'll be raiding Dave's garden for the ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nan;

    We have a fresh zucchini siting on the kitchen counter, will have to try the recipe.
    You are a gal of many surprises.
    Love Dad

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't go wrong with zucchini. You know I love it.

    Teresa

    ReplyDelete